Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyers
Truck accidents in Los Angeles are unfortunately very common. Due to a number of factors we will discuss below, trucks collide with other vehicles and pedestrians far too often. Truck accidents can be devastating and life-altering experiences for everyone involved, which is why you need an experienced trucking accident lawyer to help you pursue compensation.
Los Angeles City Law has successfully recovered millions of dollars for victims of truck accidents, including a $13.863 million settlement for a former professional fighter who underwent two spinal fusion surgeries after his car was struck by a truck. Our law firm also obtained a $4 million settlement for a truck driver who was struck by another truck while installing snow chains on his tires. LACL further recovered a seven-figure settlement for a passenger in a car who was struck by a truck which attempted to flee the scene.
If you have been injured in a truck accident, then call the lawyers at Los Angeles City Law to get started with a free, no-obligation consultation.
How Many Truck Accidents Occur Each Year?
The Department of Transportation reports that there were 112,908 trucking accidents in 2012. Those crashes caused more than 65,000 injuries and fatalities. Sadly, California and Texas lead the nation in trucking accidents, and have the have the highest number of fatalities resulting from these crashes. Our dedicated Los Angeles personal injury attorneys can go over all of your legal rights and options with you if you have been injured by another driver.
What Causes Trucking Accidents?
Given that large truck operations are heavily regulated by federal, state, and local laws, why are there still so many serious accidents? These accidents are often attributed to:
- Driver error
- Substance abuse
- Distracted driving
- Poor training
- Mechanical failure
- Environmental conditions
- Traffic signal failures
- Road conditions
- Improper cargo loading
- Faulty manufacturing
Because there are so many factors and parties involved, the determination of who is at fault (and whose insurance should pay) often becomes a web of finger-pointing. An experienced truck accident lawyer becomes necessary to guide the victim in obtaining fair compensation for their injuries.
Who Is at Fault in a Trucking Accident?
Victims of truck accidents often need to collect many pieces of information to assist them in proving that another party is responsible for their injuries. Some of the basic information that is commonly needed includes:
- Police reports
- Post-collision truck inspection reports
- Witness statements
- Engineering or accident reconstruction reports related to traffic
- Weather, and road conditions.
- The victim will also want to quickly obtain the truck’s event data recorders (EDR), including any black boxes, onboard computers, and GPS recorders.
Often, a full investigation conducted by experts will be necessary to discover and to prove most causes of liability, such as cell phone use prior to the crash, faulty maintenance of the truck, unsafe working conditions, drug testing results, and violations of the heightened laws and regulations governing trucks. Only with a thorough investigation can a victim prove whether a truck carrier, a truck driver, another driver, a truck repair facility, a vehicle manufacturer, or a government agency is required to compensate them for their injuries.
What to Do After a Truck Accident
Experiencing a truck accident can be a traumatic event. While every situation is different and will require a different response to the circumstances, there are a few steps you should take in most cases:
- Report the crash. Call the police immediately and wait for them to arrive. Check to see if you or any of your passengers are injured.
- Turn on your hazard lights to prevent another accident from occurring.
- Obtain the information of the involved parties. Write down the driver’s name, license number, insurance information, and the contact information of the truck driver’s company.
- Speak with the witnesses in the area. Ask them for their contact information in the event that your lawyer needs to collect a statement.
- Take photos of the scene. Photograph your vehicle and any others involved in the accident from multiple angles. Additionally, photograph your injuries, the surrounding area, and damage to items inside your vehicle. It is always in your favor to have a variety of photographs to use as evidence.
- Do not speak to insurance companies about the accident. Insurance adjusters will often try to obtain a written or recorded statement that can be used against you, so consult with a member of Los Angeles City Law before speaking with anyone from an insurance company.
- Seek medical treatment for your injuries. Adrenaline may prevent you from feeling your injuries right away, so schedule a thorough evaluation with your doctor as soon as possible. Detailed records of your injuries and treatment costs will be necessary as your case proceeds.
Your specific circumstances may require you to omit, add, or proceed through these steps in a different order. Speak with your lawyer to request more information.
Getting Help after a Truck Accident in Los Angeles
The long-term physical, emotional, and financial effects of a truck accident can be severe. Some victims may require physical therapy for months or years following an accident, and your injuries may even cause lasting disruptions to your lifestyle. Truck accident victims, including other drivers and passengers, often require assistance getting the powerful,well-represented truck companies to accept responsibility for their actions. Hiring a knowledgeable lawyer with expertise in truck accident law and insight into the complicated interplay of laws and regulations governing the industry is critical. A lawyer experienced in truck law can best prepare a claim or lawsuit to hold the responsible party liable for the trauma and damages suffered from these often-catastrophic accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles, then contact the truck accident lawyers at Los Angeles City Law to get started with a free, no-obligation case evaluation. Our lawyers will help you determine the next steps to take in your case, keeping you informed about your options every step of the way. We do not collect any fees until we have won your case, so please do not hesitate to reach out if you have sustained damages due to the negligence of another driver. If you are unable to come to our law firm due to your injuries or a busy schedule, then we will make arrangements for one of our lawyers to come to you.