Mishaps and accidents are fairly common, but this fact does little to alleviate the pain and hardship that can occur after experiencing a personal injury. You may be eligible for compensation if you have been injured as the result of negligence on the part of another person or institution. If you or someone you know has experienced a physical or emotional injury due to negligence, carelessness, or a hazardous work environment, Los Angeles City Law‘s personal injury lawyers can help you seek compensatory damages.
Have You Suffered a Personal Injury in Los Angeles?
We’ve helped Los Angeles residents obtain compensation for:
- Auto Accidents: A car accident is a traumatic and immensely inconvenient event. You may be left with physical pain and disruptions to your lifestyle, and you may be left without a car if it was seriously damaged in the crash. You should seek legal counsel immediately if you have been injured due to an auto accident in Los Angeles.
- Amputation Injuries: Amputation injury is defined as the removal of a body part as a result of trauma, illness, or surgery. No matter how an amputation injury is sustained, it will almost always lead to profound life changes. Blood clots, infections, and psychological distress are common in the days and weeks following an amputation, and even more pronounced effects often follow. Dependency, social life changes, and financial disruption are all long-term results of amputation injuries that should be addressed by an amputation injury lawyer.
- Dog Bites: It doesn’t matter how large or small a dog is — a dog bite can leave you with expensive medical bills and the need for ongoing treatment. According to California law, the dog’s owner may be responsible for damages if your injuries were caused by a dog bite and occurred either in public or private, though you will need to prove that you were lawfully in the private location. Call our Los Angeles dog bite lawyers if you have been recently bitten by a dog.
- Slip and Fall Injuries: A slip and fall injury can occur due to negligence on the part of a property owner or operator. Leaks, damaged walkways, and generally unsafe conditions can all cause an unexpected slip or fall that leads to serious injuries. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in Los Angeles, then call our personal injury lawyers to get started with a free case evaluation.
- Pedestrian Accidents: The streets of Los Angeles are more dangerous than they have ever been before. Aggression, distraction, and negligence can all cause a life-altering pedestrian accident to occur, potentially leaving you with expensive and long-lasting injuries. If you have been injured on the streets of Los Angeles due to a distracted driver, then call the Los Angeles personal injury lawyers at Los Angeles City Law.
- Wrongful Death: A wrongful death is one of the most tragic and devastating events a family can experience. California law allows spouses, domestic partners, children, grandchildren, and other parties who would normally be entitled to the deceased party’s property according to California law to sue for wrongful death. Negligence, gross negligence, or an intentionally illegal act could all be grounds for a wrongful death case.
- And many other forms of injury that could entitle you to compensatory damages.
There are many forms that personal injury damages can take, and an experienced personal injury lawyer can help you determine which damages, if any, you have suffered.
How to Choose a Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer
If you will be seeking compensation for damages you have sustained due to a personal injury, then you need to ensure that you choose the right personal injury lawyer for your case. The qualities you should look for include:
- Experience: You want your personal injury lawyer to be experienced with a wide variety of cases. Each and every personal injury case is different, but finding a lawyer who has been successful in a wide range of circumstances will provide you with the peace of mind you deserve.
- Success: You do not want to hire a personal injury lawyer without knowing their track record in court. At Los Angeles City Law, we are proud to say that we have won 98 percent of the cases we have taken on.
- Competence: Navigating the complexities of personal injury law is challenging, and not every lawyer is up to the task. You need to ensure that the personal injury lawyer you choose will maximize your chances of winning your case.
- Accessibility: You will almost certainly have questions and need assistance as your case proceeds, which means that you need to choose a lawyer who will be there to answer your questions as soon as they arise.
- Affordability: Many lawyers in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas are known for their steep prices. At Los Angeles City Law, we do not collect any fees until we have won your case and obtained compensation for your damages.
At Los Angeles City Law, we are proud to have all of these qualities, and more. We have helped thousands of Los Angeles residents obtain the compensation and justice they deserve. We provide aggressive and competent legal representation that seeks to deliver the best results for our clients. We offer no-cost case evaluations, and we can arrange to come to you if traveling to our law firm is difficult for you. We also offer our legal services in Spanish, as we understand that many Los Angeles residents do not speak English as their primary language.
Our Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help
At Los Angeles City Law, we know that personal injuries of any kind can seriously compromise a victim’s finances and overall quality of life. Insurance companies often overlook the impact of an injury in an attempt to protect their bottom line, and we find this practice absolutely unacceptable. When you call our personal injury lawyers, we will review your case and help you determine which, if any, damages you should pursue. We have taken the time to explain what damages are below, but please get in touch with us if you would like to learn more, or if you would like to determine which damages you could pursue in your case.
We will begin by explaining some basic terminology used in the legal system. If you have been injured and decide to pursue damages in a court of law, you will be referred to as the plaintiff in the case. You will attempt to show that another party, the defendant, is legally responsible for your injuries. If you are able to prove that the defendant is legally responsible for your injuries, then you will likely be awarded damages, which are a way of providing you with compensation for the consequences of an injury.
As you may expect, it is often difficult to put a monetary value on the way that your body functions or your quality of life before the accident, especially if you do not have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side. However, this does not mean that should not pursue compensation. Los Angeles City Law can help you pursue monetary compensation for:
Pain, Suffering, and Discomfort
There is no getting around the fact that personal injuries are both physically and mentally painful. Victims are often forced to deal with severe ongoing physical pain for the rest of their lives, which can be distressing and detrimental to one’s overall quality of life. Many victims also find themselves experiencing ongoing mental trauma, anxiety, and depression following an injury. An injury can often cause victims to experience the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and fear of situations similar the one that caused their injury. Thoroughly document any changes to your physical and emotional health following your injury in order to maximize your chances of receiving compensation.
You will almost certainly seek medical care in the days, and perhaps even months, following your accident. Monetary compensation for medical treatment is among the most common damages sought in court. It is important to note that compensation can be pursued for past medical treatment as well as any treatment that can be reasonably expected to occur in the future. The cost of physical therapy, checkups, surgeries, psychological care, and other forms of long-term care can all be pursued. Begin documenting your medical expenses as you incur them, and be sure that you are also documenting transportation costs and any other expenses required to tend to your injuries.
Loss of Property
Victims can often seek compensation for personal possessions that have been damaged or destroyed. Vehicles, articles of clothing, electronics, and other personal items can be assigned a monetary value by the court. The court will generally use the current market price of the property to determine how much the defendant will be required to pay. Thoroughly document any of your personal possessions that have been damaged. Photographic evidence can be very helpful when it comes to proving that your property was directly damaged as a result of the incident.
You could be entitled to pursue compensation for income that was lost as a result of your injury. The time you spent in the hospital instead of working, for instance, can be converted to lost wages and then compensated by the defendant. Victims often pursue ongoing monetary losses, as an injury will sometimes prevent a person from returning to their previous level of productivity in the workplace. They may also have to take time off to pursue ongoing physical and mental care. Take the time to gather pay stubs, tax returns, and any other paperwork that could be used to document changes in your income.
Loss of Lifestyle
It is often difficult to put a monetary value on a lifestyle, but it is undeniable that many victims cannot return to their previous lifestyle following an accident. Hobbies, exercise, and other recreational activities can all be grouped together and pursued as damages when they are impacted by a personal injury. As an example, parents who previously enjoyed coaching their children’s sporting events could pursue compensation when they can no longer actively participate. In some cases, compensation may be awarded to spouses and family members as well, as they too have suffered a loss.
Loss of Intimacy
Also known as “loss of consortium,” many victims find that their intimate relationships are negatively affected in the wake of a serious injury. Changes to your sexual intimacy and other forms of companionship should all be thoroughly documented. Write down noticeable changes in your intimate life as soon as you notice them. You can also bring these issues to the attention of your medical provider.
Incidental damages can be pursued to cover the cost of documenting your injuries (that is, expenses that you would not have otherwise incurred if it were not for the accident). If you have to pay for high-quality copies of a photo or a large-scale printout for court, for instance, then you may be entitled to pursue compensation for these expenses. Begin documenting any expenses you incur following your injury, and be sure to bring these expenses the attention of your personal injury lawyer.
These damages seek to compensate a victim for an injury that was willfully or maliciously carried out. These damages are intended to compensate for the defendant’s ill intent while also serving the purpose of deterring others from acting in a similar way.
This list is not exhaustive, so please call our personal injury lawyers at 866-999-6640 if you believe you have suffered a loss that is not listed here.