If you are a motorcycle enthusiast in Los Angeles, then you have probably become used to your friends and family worrying about your safety. While you may be slightly annoyed by their concern, their sentiments are not wholly misplaced or unjustified. In fact, a recent report from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System shows that motorcycle fatalities in California have increased sharply in the past two decades.
There were 2,320 motorcycle deaths in California in 1994, but that number more than doubled in 2016 — in fact, there were 5,286 motorcycle deaths in 2016 alone. If that statistic is not enough to shock you, then consider that motorcycle deaths increased by six percent from 2015 to 2016 alone.
Researchers have been looking for an explanation — why are the roads of California becoming more and more dangerous for motorcyclists and drivers alike, especially with programs such as Vision Zero? Though this program aims to eliminate traffic-related deaths in Los Angeles by the year 2025, it is unclear if the state is headed in the right direction. Researchers believe the following factors account for the rising motorcycle accidents in Los Angeles:
- Lane splitting
- Lane splitting is the practice of riding a bike or motorcycle through lanes of same-direction traffic. While several states have laws against lane splitting, California does not.
- Lack of training
- Distracted driving
- This includes talking on the phone, texting, and other phone-related activities.
- Intoxicated drivers
- More than one-quarter of motorcycle riders killed in 2016 had a BAC of at least .08 percent
- Sport bikes which can reach speeds of more than 170 mph
Given that these data are so dismal, how can you stay safe on the road? Researchers recommend that motorcyclists adopt the following techniques and practices to maximize their safety:
- Always wear a helmet and protective clothing
- Never drink and drive
- Invest in extra training courses specifically designed for riders in Southern California
- Keep your distance behind traffic, and always check twice before switching lanes
- Always remember that it is better to be over-cautious on a motorcycle, no matter where or when you’re riding
Have You Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
Riding a motorcycle is exhilarating, but as these data show, also inherently dangerous. Motorcycle accidents are far too common, so if you ride a motorcycle in Los Angeles, then you need to know which motorcycle accident attorney to call if you are injured on the road.
At Los Angeles City Law, we are committed to keeping you protected and helping you navigate through any kind of motorcycle injury case. Whether you have been injured due to the negligence of another motorist or you were injured because of an obstacle in the road, our motorcycle accident attorneys are here to provide you with the aggressive and competent legal representation you deserve.
Call Los Angeles City Law at 866-999-6640 if you have been injured in a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles. We will fight tooth and nail to get you the compensation you are entitled to, so do not hesitate to reach out to us for a free case consultation.